Zoom fatigued? Discovering that video calls are just meetings in disguise - but they don't help you get your job done? Are you looking for collaboration tools that help you do more than talk?
We're in a whole new world now, but the demands of business stay the same:
- Teams still need to work, together.
- Individuals need to see all the pieces of the puzzle in order to know how and where their pieces fit.
- Projects need to run efficiently - no duplication of effort, no run-over resulting in overtime or missed deadlines.
- Business needs to be self-sustaining - now, more than ever, teams need to find ways to cut costs and work more efficiently is more important than ever.
Legacy processes and technology aren't designed to cope with these demands in the new paradigm. So how do we move forward? What does the future of work look like?
Imagine an online workspace where people could actually do their work - together.
Digital workplaces, or work hubs, are a new breed of technology developed to address the challenges experienced by: large teams, teams working on complex projects, and those working in multiple locations. They are designed to bring information and communication into a single application, to reduce costs, increase productivity and enable true collaboration within teams and across business units.
Benefits of a digital workplace
Digital workplaces are designed to streamline day-to-day operations so you can focus more on your core business:
- Improved visibility. Information in real-time, on-demand from wherever you are, 24/7
- Streamlined planning - move from strategy to actionable tasks without leaving the platform.
- A single, central point of collection for all related information.
- Your work hub becomes the project's knowledge keeper. Capture and store ideas and information that can be accessed on-demand
- Reduce duplication of effort with a platform that is designed to share information and give you real-time information.
- Centralise communication with stakeholders while maintaining full context.
- Manage information, assets, documents and status updates, in a safe, secure and scalable environment.
- Digitise and streamline workflows.
- Faster feedback loops - When everyone works in the same platform it is easy to see where bottlenecks are occurring.
Finding the right tool for your team
As with any technology, there is no one-size-fits-all application. Your business, or team, will have specific requirements and it's important that when you commit to a new way of working that the tool works for you, not the other way around.
What problem are you trying to solve?
This is your starting point. Identify what is not currently working and the reasons why.
- Are you duplicating effort because visibility is limited?
- Are you spending too much time searching for information in files and folders or in long email strings?
- Are you missing opportunities for additional revenue because information in your business is siloed?
Think about the future
Once you've identified your specific pain points, you'll want to ensure that the solution you choose isn't just right for today. The right technology can help you future proof your business.
- What will your business look like in six months? One or two years from now?
- Is it likely that at least some of your workforce will want to continue to work remotely? How will you cater for that?
- In a world where location is irrelevant, are you able take advantage of the global talent pool? What would that do for your business?
Then there is the technology itself.
What is available? What are your options?
- Do you want something that can be configured to suit your needs? Off-the-shelf products can be great for small teams but as size and complexity increase, so do the technology requirements.
- Is there an option better suited to your industry or the type of work you do?
- Are you able to influence the technology roadmap and contribute ideas for future functionality?
- Is the platform secure? You'll want to do some homework here - don't assume that just because a platform is popular that it's as secure as you need it to be.
- Will the platform scale as you do?
- What support is actually available to you and how much will it cost? Ask to speak to other people using the platform if you're unsure.
What is the total cost of the technology?That doesn't just mean how much a licence is going to cost you (although that is also important).
- What features will a base licence give you? Is that enough? What happens if you need to add more features?
- How is data treated? Is there a reasonable data storage allowance based on the size of your organisation? Will you have to pay more if you go over that? How much would that cost?
- What about new features? Will you have access to them under your existing licence agreement? Will they be an additional cost?
- How much will it cost to implement the system? Think about the cost of your team's time, additional infrastructure, training requirements, any consulting costs.
What is the cost of doing nothing?
Change often seems difficult and it can be tempting to just continue to do things the way you have been. Consider what the long term cost to your business is by remaining stagnant.
- How much additional revenue could be made through more effective collaboration and on-demand access to IP?
- How many hours could you save by not having to trawl through strings of emails to find information or to get context?
- How much you could save through more streamlined processes that improve efficiency and reduce duplication?
- How much effort could be saved by proactively solving issues through increased visibility?
The only thing left is to get started.
A digital workplace offers the greatest benefit when your entire organisation or project team fully commits to working in it – the more people, information and communication within the platform - the greater the return.
Remember, it can take time to adjust to a new way of working. We suggest you have senior staff clearly communicate the benefits and endorse the change - it will make the task of getting others to go along for the ride so much easier.
Want to learn how Lumi can help your team improve productivity? Start a free trial with a Lumi Quickstart project today!